Dogs come in all shapes and sizes, from toy-sized or teacup (miniature) to extra large. There has been a lot of attention on the topic of how to best crate train small breeds these days. This blog post will review some of the top dog crates for XS-sized dogs, with pros and cons for each one. It also answers related questions that people have about small dog crates like: “What is a good size for a dog crate?” or “How much room does my pup need?”.
For our readers who are looking for help getting their smaller pup housetrained, we’ve included tips on how to pick out your perfect extra small-sized dog crate!
Table of Contents
- What size crate is best for an extra small dog?
- What material should I look for?
- Best Dog Crates for Extra Small Dogs
- 1. MidWest Homes for Pets Dog Crate
- 2. ECOFLEX Dog Crate
- 3. Carlson Blue Secure and Compact Single Door Metal Dog Crate
- 4. Internet’s Best Wire Dog Kennel
- 5. New 31″ Homey Pet Pet Crate and Durable Plastic Black Tray
- 6. Frisco Fold & Carry Single Door Collapsible Wire Dog Crate
- 7. Frisco Two Door Top Load Plastic Dog & Cat Kennel
- 8. Frisco Fold & Carry Double Door Collapsible Wire Dog Crate
- 9. Frisco Indoor & Outdoor 3-Door Collapsible Soft-Sided Dog & Small Pet Crate
- 10. Frisco Heavy Duty Fold & Carry Double Door Collapsible Wire Dog Crate
- Benefits of having a crate in your house or apartment
- Tips to make sure your little pup is comfortable when they’re in their crate
- How to train them to love being in their new home away from home
- Types of Crates
- Can two small dogs share a crate?
- Do dogs like bigger or smaller crates?
What size crate is best for an extra small dog?
It is typically recommended that XS dogs (with the exception of larger breeds like Corgis, Terriers, and Doxies) use a crate size around 18 inches x 13 inches for comfort. While you can technically buy crates in smaller sizes, it’s not really necessary since your dog won’t be able to stand up or turn easily in such a small space. The downside to getting a larger dog crate is that it may be harder for you to find an appropriate place in your home.
Your puppy’s breed will also play a big role in how well he or she can adapt to being crated since some dogs are naturally more independent than others. For example, if you have a highly active pup like Border Collie, they might do better with slightly smaller crates (like the 18 x 13-inch option) while less energetic pups could probably get away with bigger sizes.
What material should I look for?
Metal wire crates tend to offer sturdier construction and often come with features such as removable plastic pan bottoms which make them easier to clean after accidents happen! Since XS-sized dogs may be prone to making a mess in their crates due to lack of space, we also recommend considering plastic and fabric options.
Best Dog Crates for Extra Small Dogs
If so, then you know how hard it can be to find the perfect home for your little friend. You want something that is safe and secure but also easy to clean up after them when they make a mess. That’s why we created this all-inclusive iCrate by MidWest Homes for Pets! It has everything you need in one convenient package.
The divider panel allows you to adjust the size of the crate as your pup grows, while still keeping him comfortable and cozy inside his new home. There are no tools required – just slide out the plastic tray on the bottom of the crate and wipe down any messes with ease! Plus, there are rubber “roller” feet on the bottom of our crate so it won’t scratch up your floors or leave dents in carpets as other crates do. And finally, there is an included carrying handle so moving this metal dog crate around is simple & easy!
- Newly enhanced with added security features to keep your pet safe | Slide-bolt door latch now feature patented Paw Block and locking tips to create a safer, more secure home for your pet
- iCrate single door dog crate measures 18L x 12W x 14H,inches and is suitable for XS dog breeds with an adult weight up to 12 pounds. If your dog’s weight or measurements are on the higher side for this crate, we recommend buying the next crate size up
- Dog crate includes a divider panel, durable & leak-proof plastic pan, protective rubber feet, carrying handle, and customer support team based in Indiana
- Easy to assemble & portable | Dog crate sets up in seconds with no tools required and conveniently folds flat for travel
- Durable & strong, quality construction creates a secure place for your dog to fulfill their natural instinct to den. Proper ventilation, large door openings with low thresholds, and rounded corner clips make iCrate a safer crate experience for your dog
So good that we got two!
We actually got two of them! One of them (the larger one I previously mentioned) we actually have attached to an exercise pen to create a decent-sized area for our puppy to play and live in. He can go into the crate for naps, and then freely move around the exercise area — ideal for any time he has to be alone! The second crate we got so that he can sleep in our bedrooms at night. It is only a 22″ one so it’s easy to move around and put in the backseat of the car.
Highly, highly recommended for fur babies!
You’ll love this beautiful piece because not only does it look nice but also provides comfort for your pup while they are inside their crate at night time or during nap time! It’s made from recycled materials which makes it environmentally friendly too! Plus, there are no tools required so assembly is quick and easy which means less work on you!
- Made of ECOFLEX, a non-toxic recycled plastic-wood polymer composite material that won't warp, crack or split
- Spindles made of stainless steel tubing and a stainless steel latch; double latches on large and X-Large crates
- Easy, no-tools assembly.
- For dogs up to 20lbs
- Inspiring your pet style
Very stylish not for chewers!
I have two adult rescue dogs that love having their own private space. The crates are very durable as long as you don’t have a chewer or your dog doesn’t mind being in a crate. My dogs have free range of the house except when guests are over. They willing go into their crates as it gives them a secure space while allowing them to see what’s going on around them. They also look fabulous and I’ve gotten rave reviews. Next to each other, they make a great space for knick-knacks and our sofa throws. Easy to put together and they can hold a pretty good amount as my 6-yr old grandson sits on them all the time. I would definitely buy again!
This is the perfect crate for your little pup. It’s made with all-steel construction, so it’s super durable and sturdy. The single door design has a secure locking system to keep your pet safe. Plus, the blue removable pan makes clean up easy! You can fold this crate down when you need to travel or store it away in between uses. And since it only weighs 25 pounds, you can take it with you wherever you go!
Your pup will love being able to see everything around them while they are inside their new home. They will feel safe and comfortable knowing that they are protected from anything that might happen outside of their crate. You won’t find another product like this on the market today!
- Durable all steel construction
- Single door design with secure locking system for your pets safety
- Includes a blue removable and washable pan
- Fold and go system for portability, storage and car travel
- For smaller breeds and puppies, up to 25 pounds
It is a pretty powder blue
Jack played in the cage! He took toys in and out all day. He took a nap in there!! I put a treat in that night. He went in, so I just shut the door and latched it. We went straight to bed.
Jack slept all night! He went out and used the potty in the back yard. I am stunned!!
You love your pet more than anything else in the world – which is why we want to make sure they feel at home wherever they go! This metal cage has been crafted from sturdy wire steel that won’t bend under pressure – even if your pup tries their hardest to get out! And because it’s easy to clean and transport, you can take them anywhere without worrying about where they might sleep next. With our wire dog kennel, all of your worries fade away as soon as you open up those front doors and let them curl up inside on their own bedding (which may be removed). Your Dog (Cat or Puppy) will love curling up in this cozy den-like space every day of their life.
- DOUBLE DOOR KENNEL: Crate is equipped with front and side doors that latch securely with two-side bolt latches. Keep the doors open for a perfect den-like, personal space that your Dog (Cat or Puppy) will love to call home
- LEAK-PROOF PLASTIC PAN & CARRYING HANDLE: Each kennel has been innovatively designed with a leak-proof plastic pan that may be removed for cleaning as well as equipped with a detachable carrying handle that may be secured tightly to the frame to make...
- DURABLE: Made from sturdy wire steel for pets who like to scratch, bite and dig through their kennels. The crates also provide a safe place for your animal while you are away.
- COLLAPSIBLE & FOLDABLE: Easily collapses and folds down neatly for ease of transportation and storage
- DIMENSIONS: 17” Width x 24” Depth x 19.5” Height
Blue Colors My World
I love this crate. I think what I really appreciate about this crate is the fact that it has double doors! Having this really allows for versatility so that I can move it around my apartment and interchange which door works best. This crate is a size small and my little man, Palo Santo, is a ChiMix (Chipin) – he is 12.6 pounds and fits quite perfectly! I have included a picture for your review 🙂 Inside his crate I have his bed to help make it more cozy and there is still room to spare a bit on each of the sides. If you want to know about the blue… its AWESOME! Its like the cerulean blue in the crayola box! I believe you will love this crate! Enjoy!
You can put your pet in and out of this crate safely without worrying about them jumping out because there is a safety door lock design. And the pull-out tray makes cleaning up after them easy peasy lemon squeezy. This product has been made with nontoxic materials that will keep your pet healthy too!
- Search "Homey Pet TF46A Cage Installation" on Youtube for video installation guide
- Size: L31"xW20"x46", Each Tier's Height is 19", Side Bar Space is 1.1". Floor Grid Bar Space: 0.41"; Fit for pets/animals up to 40lbs
- Ultra strong pull out tray allows you to clean the waste easily; Tray can also fit inside the cage for better protection on pet's feet
- Open top allows you to put your pet in and out safely to avoid pet jump out from door open
- All metal heavy duty design with safety door lock design; Nontoxic finished surface for your pet's health protection
Love the item. No worded directions
This kennel is works great. I can’t say the door latch is my favorite as I have other kennels with the flip down latch which has zero chance of an accidental locking pet in or pet getting out – one pet got accidentally locked in the bottom when another pet bounced the door closed on her – but I always use the additional hook during bedtime just to be safe. I do like the sturdiness and the double height. The pans and floors fit perfectly. The directions are terrible but know this – Make sure sides have the holes for the top on the INSIDE – I had to take back apart because I didn’t notice that and also don’t over tighten screws because they need to be loose to fit the cross bars into the middle – yep made that mistake too. Live and learn – hope this helps you avoid extra work. I did like the fact that screw heads are Phillips so I used my drill on low to tighten and loosen as needed. Good product and considering buying another one – I have used for 3 week and am very happy with it and my puppy loves it 🙂
This wire dog crate is made of sturdy steel with a black powder-coated finish so it looks great in any home. It features two doors – one on the front and one on top – which makes it easier to access your pup when he needs to go outside or just wants some alone time. The large door also allows you to easily place him inside without having to bend over or get down on all fours! Plus, the included plastic base pan sits at the bottom of the crate so you can quickly wipe up accidents as they happen. And if your pet has an accident while sleeping in his new home? No problem! Just remove the divider panel between each side of this double-door dog kennel and let him stretch out across both halves until he feels better again.
You’ll love how simple this wire folding dog crate is to set up and put away too! There are no tools required for assembly, making it perfect for those who don’t want extra clutter around their house or apartment (or anyone who hates putting together furniture!). When not in use, simply fold down into a flat piece that takes up less than 2 square feet of floor space…and then carry with its convenient handles wherever you need it next! Whether traveling by car or plane with Fido or taking him along during family road trips, this wire folding dog crate is a great option for everyone!
You won’t have any trouble getting your little one into this carrier thanks to its top-load design which allows you access without having to open up both doors at once! With just one hand lift of each door handleâ€¦ voila! Your pup is in his new home away from home where he’ll be comfy until you arrive at your destination. Give him some water before leaving if needed (we recommend using an elevated bowl) but don’t worry about feeding him since there’s no food or water dish attached inside – we know how messy those things can get! When arriving at your location simply unzip both doors and let him out for a potty break before getting back on the road again.
You can use Frisco’s fold & carry design so you can easily take this anywhere without having to worry about storage space or assembly time. Your little guy will be safe and sound in his new home away from home while traveling or at home during nap time!
You won’t find another crate like this on the market today because we made sure to design one that was durable enough for everyday use while also being lightweight and portable. Your pup will love how comfortable it is inside, too! With its soft fabric interior lining, your little guy or gal will feel right at home in their new space. They can even sleep soundly through the night without waking up everyone else in the house! This crate comes in two sizes so there’s an option out there for every size dog breed out there – big or small! Now isn’t that paw-some?!
Included is a divider panel that allows you to adjust the space as needed until your pup grows into their new home. This double-door design makes training simple by giving you more options than ever before while traveling or at home. Your little king will be happy knowing he has his own castle just like his big brother does! With four rubber feet on each corner of the bottom pan, this heavy-duty metal dog crate won’t slip or slide around when placed anywhere in your home – no matter what surface it’s on! And because we know accidents happen sometimes (and dogs aren’t always 100% potty trained), Frisco has made sure that our wire crates are completely washable – just remove all panels from both sides and pop them right into the top rack of any dishwasher! Now that’s convenience at its finest…for both you AND your best friend!
Benefits of having a crate in your house or apartment
Some of the benefits of having a crate in your house or apartment include:
- Crate training a puppy to know where their bed is and that you are the pack leader.
- A crate can be used for other purposes such as feeding your dog, giving them water, or when they get older – potty training.
- In case of an emergency evacuation from a house fire, having a crate with familiar items in it will make your pet less stressed out which could save their life.
Tips to make sure your little pup is comfortable when they’re in their crate
Be sure to put your pup’s favorite blanket, toy, or even crate pad inside the crate so it is familiar and comfy.
You can also leave on a radio or TV during quiet time in order for them to feel more at ease with background noise.
When you first introduce the crate make sure they are comfortable by leaving treats near but not inside of the cage until they venture into it themselves. This will show that this space belongs to them as well!
How to train them to love being in their new home away from home
Once your pup gets comfortable with the crate you can begin to train them. First, give them a command like “go get in your bed” and place their favorite toy or treat near but not inside of it so they venture into the new space on their own. You can then move closer towards the bed while commanding to get in – doing this will show that getting in means good things happen!
After some time has passed (usually around 30 days) you should be able to close up the door for short periods of time without any issues since they are now familiar enough with being alone inside of it.
Types of Crates
These crates are a great option if you have a pup that has not been crate trained or is still in the process. It will allow them to be able to see out and also have some airflow.
These crates are great because they come in many different sizes and styles which makes it easy to find one that fits perfectly inside of any room or space! They also provide more airflow than their plastic counterparts making them ideal if you live in hot weather locations, especially during the summer months. Another benefit is that these crates can support dogs who like to jump around since metal does not bend under pressure as much as other materials. These types do tend to cost slightly higher but investing in something durable will save money in the long run.
These crates are great for travel purposes since they can be easily carried and stored effortlessly rather than having to carry around a metal crate that could weigh 30+ lbs! They do not provide as much airflow but if you will be taking your pup on trips or need something easy to store then this is definitely an option worth looking into. Make sure when purchasing one of these types to look closely at measurements in order to find which size would best fit inside of any designated space you have planned out.
It is not advisable to have two small dogs share one crate together because they may start fighting since there isn’t enough room for two.
If you do want to use a double-stacked kennel, make sure the bottom dog can still easily get in and out of their side while also making sure that both pets aren’t stressed about being so close together which could lead them to fight over space!
Do dogs like bigger or smaller crates?
Dogs generally like smaller crates because they feel safer and more protected.
However, some dogs enjoy having a little extra room to stretch out while others prefer being in a cozy area that feels safe!
Are crates comfortable for extra small dogs?
Yes, most crates are made with metal bars that provide ventilation, and some even come in fabric. With the proper training, your little pup will make their crate their safe place.
What is the best material for a crate to be made out of?
Crates come in metal and fabric. Metal crates are usually sturdier, but take up more space when transporting; while fabric ones can easily fit anywhere, but may not provide strong support if your dog was to try and escape - it really just depends on what you prefer!
What size should an extra small (XS) or teacup pup have?
The general rule of thumb is that at adult-hood they will weigh no more than six pounds. However, this varies from breed to breed so always refer back to their parent's weight before choosing one. Most breeds stay around four or five lbs full grown such as the Pug, French Bulldog, Shih Tzu, Chihuahua etc.