Dogs are meat-eaters, but most people can’t afford to supply them with a meat-only diet. So, the best option is to find the healthiest dog food available. Many dog foods add fillers, such as rice, corn, wheat, and gluten. These additives cause digestive issues.
Dog foods also use meat by-products instead of meat. Your dog can also be allergic to foods contained in even the best dog food. That issue can require some investigation to find the cause.
When you are choosing dog food, CHE the ingredients. Look for the items mentioned that cause digestive issues. Then, look for natural and unprocessed ingredients. Check the first ingredient because ingredients are listed by the amount contained in the dog food. Finally, the fewer ingredients, the fewer items to cause your dog an allergic reaction.
Table of Contents
Quick List – Top Sensitive Stomach Dog Food (Small Dogs)
- Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomachs Adult Dry and Wet Dog Food — Uses digestible oatmeal.
- Rachael Ray Nutrish Zero Grain Natural Dry Dog Food — Contains no grains or meat by-products,
- Rachael Ray Nutrish Just 6 Limited Ingredient Diet Dry Dog Food — Made with only six ingredients plus added vitamins and minerals.
- Hill’s Science Diet Sensitive Stomach and Skin Dry Dog Food — Formulated for small dogs.
- Blue Buffalo True Solutions Digestive Care Adult Dry and Wet Dog Food — Formulated by veterinarians and animal nutritionists
- Purina ONE SmartBlend Sensitive Systems Adult Dry Dog Food — Salmon is the main ingredient
- Purina ONE SmartBlend Natural Digestive Health Adult Dry Dog Food — Crunchy Kibbles and Meaty Morsels
- Iams Senior Dry Dog Food — Formulated for older dogs.
- Nutro Natural Choice Adult Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food — Formulated for weight loss
- Hill’s Prescription Diet Digestive Care Dry Dog Food — Has brewer’s rice as the first ingredient.
Best Small Dog Food for Sensitive Stomaches
1. Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomachs Adult Dry and Wet Dog Food – Best for Variety of Flavor Choices
The Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomachs High Protein Adult Dry and Wet Dog Food feature salmon or lamb with a formula for small dogs. It contains digestible oatmeal and no wheat, corn, or soy and one formula excludes chicken and eggs. It includes probiotics and omega-6 fatty acids from sunflower oil that contribute to digestive well-being and promote a healthy coat. Ingredients include salmon, barley, rice, oatmeal, canola meal, and fish meal. It is available in 5, 16, 30, and 41-pounds.
- The probiotics support immune and digestive health.
- The sunflower oil helps improve your dog’s coat.
- The fish oil provides mobility and joint health.
- Since it is not processed, it can attract bugs.
- This Purina Pro Plan digestive improves your dog’s well-being and coat.
- It offers a special formula for small dogs.
- Contains all-natural healthy ingredients.
2. Rachael Ray Nutrish Zero Grain Natural Dry Dog Food – Best for No Filler or Meat By-products
The Rachael Ray Nutrish Zero Grain Natural Dry Dog Food features chicken with sweet potatoes or veggies. It is all-natural with vitamins and minerals and contains no grains or poultry by-products. The high-fiber rice offers healthy digestion and extra energy, and the omega fatty acids help maintain a healthy coat. Nutrish Zero is available in 6, 14, 18, and 40-pound bags. Chicken, chicken meal, soybean meal, and dried peas are used in Nutrish.
- Rice is high in fiber for better digestion.
- The chicken fat provides omega-3 fatty acids for healthy skin and coat.
- Offers two varieties — chicken and veggies and chicken and sweet potatoes.
- Some dogs get tired of it.
- Uses real chicken.
- Maintains healthy organs and muscles.
- Contains no filler or meat by-products.
3. Rachael Ray Nutrish Just 6 Limited Ingredient Diet Dry Dog Food – Best for Limited Number of Ingredients
Created for small dogs, Nutrish Just 6 Limited Ingredient Diet Dry Dog features a lamb and barley recipe and contains no wheat, corn, rice, soy, gluten, artificial colors, artificial flavors, or preservatives. It is available in 6, 14, and 28 pounds. Ingredients include lamb meal, brown rice, ground rice, dried plain, beet pulp, chicken fat. and natural pork flavor.
- Designed for small dogs
- Rice aids digestion.
- Limiting the ingredients and using only natural ingredients lessens the chance of allergic reactions.
- Sodium levels may be high.
- Made with only six ingredients plus vitamins and minerals.
- No wheat, corn, rice, soy, or gluten.
- No artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
4. Hill’s Science Diet Sensitive Stomach and Skin Dry Dog Food – Best for small kibbles
The Hill’s Science Diet Sensitive Stomach and Skin Dry Dog Food for small and mini breeds maintains the digestive system and healthy skin. It also provides antioxidants for the immune system. It is available in 4 and 15-pound bags. Ingredients include chicken, brewers rice, chicken meal, yellow peas, cracked pearled barley, whole grain sorghum, egg product, chicken fat, soybean oil, and brown rice.
- Formulated for small and mini breeds.
- High fiber rice aids the digestion system.
- Contains all-natural ingredients.
- Fish oil provides DHA for a healthy brain.
- Some dogs resisted changing dog food even when an old brand was added
- Provides a healthy digestive system and healthy skin
- Antioxidants strengthen the immune system.
5. Blue Buffalo True Solutions Digestive Care Adult Dry and Wet Dog Food – Best for a variety of package sizes
The Blue Buffalo True Solutions includes prebiotic fiber, antioxidant-rich LifeSource Bits, and added vitamins and minerals to promote digestive health and maintain the immune system. It contains no meat by-product meal, wheat, corn, soy, and artificial flavors or preservatives and is available in a 12 pack of 12.5-ounce packages and 4, 11, and 24-pound bags. Ingredients include deboned chicken, chicken meal, brown rice, oatmeal, barley, and potatoes.
- Includes prebiotic fiber for digestive health
- Vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients added
- Antioxidant-rich LifeSource Bits for the healthy immune system
- Some dogs react to it.
- Formulated by veterinarians and animal nutritionists
- Features chicken, whole grains, and natural ingredients
- Includes no meat by-product meal, wheat, corn, soy, and artificial flavors or preservatives.
6. Purina ONE SmartBlend Sensitive Systems Adult Dry Dog Food – Best for using salmon as the first ingredient
Created by a veterinarian, Purina ONE SmartBlend Sensitive Systems Adult Dry Dog Food features salmon for digestibility. It provides Vitamin E and Omega-6 fatty acids for a healthy coat and has Glucosamine for joint health, and protein promotes a healthy heart and muscles. Purina ONE contains no fillers, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives and is available in 16.5 and 31.1-pounds. Ingredients include salmon, rice, flour, pearled barley, and oatmeal.
- Created by a veterinarian
- No fillers, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Vitamins and minerals are added for complete nutrition.
- Includes glucosamine for joint health.
- Some dogs won’t eat it.
- Features real salmon that is easily digestible
- Vitamin E and Omega-6 fatty acids provide a healthy coat
- Protein contributes to a healthy heart and muscles.
7. Purina ONE SmartBlend Natural Digestive Health Adult Dry Dog Food – Best for Mixture of Crunchy Kibbles and Meaty Morsels
Purina ONE SmartBlend Natural Digestive Health Adult Dry Dog Food features crunchy kibbles and meaty bits and provides digestible protein and probiotics for digestive health. As a protein, the chicken maintains your dog’s heart and muscles. Omega-6 fatty acids contribute to a healthy coat, zinc, selenium,snd vitamin A and E antioxidant combination supports the immune system. It contains no artificial flavors, preservatives, or fillers. Purina ONE SmartBlend is available in 8, 16.5, and 31.1-pound bags.
- Digestive health is supported by protein and probiotics.
- The protein also contributes to a healthy heart and muscles.
- A combination of zinc, selenium, and vitamin A and E antioxidants maintains the immune system.
- It contains no artificial flavors, preservatives, or fillers.
- Some dogs won’t eat it.
- It is a combination of crunchy kibbles and meaty morsels.
- Omega-6 fatty acids promote a healthy coat.
8. Iams Senior Dry Dog Food – Best for Older Dogs
The IAMS Senior Dry Dog Food is formulated for the needs of older dogs. As dogs get older, their ability to digest food and nutrients decreases. Iams Senior Dog Food provides for their needs. It promotes healthy bones and joints. Fiber and prebiotics contribute to digestive health, and antioxidants maintain the immune system. It is available in 7, 15, 29.1, and 30-pound bags. Ingredients include chicken, chicken by-product meal, ground whole grain barley, ground whole grain corn, and ground whole grain sorghum.
- Improves digestion.
- Includes fiber and prebiotics for digestive health.
- Antioxidants contribute to immune health
- Some dogs won’t eat.
- Formulated for older dogs.
- Improves bones and joints health.
9. Nutro Natural Choice Adult Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food – Best for weight loss
The Nutro Natural Choice Adult Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food features salmon, carrots, and other natural ingredients. Nutro Natural Choice combines protein and fiber for healthy weight loss. It adds antioxidants for immunity and fiber for digestion. It contains no chicken by-product meal, wheat, corn, or soy protein. It is GMO-free and has no preservatives. It is available in 5 and 30-pound bags. Ingredients include deboned lamb, chicken meal, whole grain barley, rice bran, and whole-grain brown rice,
- Contains antioxidants for immunity.
- No chicken by-product meal, wheat, corn, soy protein, or preservatives.
- Lamb is the first ingredient.
- Some dogs don’t like it.
- Provides a combination of protein and fiber for healthy weight loss
- The fiber helps digestion.
- GMO-free and
10. Hill’s Prescription Diet Digestive Care Dry Dog Food – Best for veterinarians approval
The Hill’s Prescription Diet Digestive Care Dry Dog Food features small kibbles, natural ingredients, B vitamins, electrolytes, prebiotic fiber, omega-3 & -6 fatty acids, and anti-oxidants. It is available in 8.5, 17.6, and 27.5-pound bags. A veterinarian’s approval is required. The small kibbles are easy to digest, while the fiber improves intestinal function and bacteria. Your dog’s immune system is supported by antioxidants. Ingredients include brewers rice, egg product, pork fat, pork flavor, and soybean oil,
- Small kibbles for easier digestion and smaller dogs.
- Uses natural ingredients.
- Includes fiber for better digestion, stool quality, and promotes the growth of healthy intestinal bacteria.
- Contains electrolytes and B vitamins to replace nutrients from digestive problems.
- Antioxidants help build a healthy immune system.
- Rated high but the first ingredient is brewer’s rice. Remember to check ingredients.
- It helps settle digestive upsets.
- Rapidly activates intestinal microbiome.
- Restores energy and promotes a healthy immune system.
Summary: Top Dog Foor For Small Breeds with Sensitive Stomaches
|Purina Pro Plan Stomachs High Protein||4.5/5||Salmon|
|Rachael Ray Nutrish Zero Grain||4.5/5||Chicken|
|Rachael Ray Nutrish Just 6 Limited||4.5/5||Lamb Meal|
|Blue Buffalo True Solutions Digestive||4.5/5||Deboned Chicken|
|Purina ONE SmartBlend Sensitive Systems||4.5/5||Salmon|
|Purina ONE SmartBlend Digestive Health||5.0/5||Chicken|
|Iams Senior Dry Dog Food||4.5/5||Chicken|
|Nutro Natural Choice Healthy Weight||4.5/5||Chicken|
|Hill's Prescription Diet||5.0/5||Brewer's Rice|
What is the easiest food for a dog to digest?
If your dog has an issue with digestion, vomiting, or diarrhea, shredded chicken or chicken and rice is easy for them to digest, and it offers some nutritional value.
What are the symptoms of a dog with a sensitive stomach?
Some symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, lack of appetite, android itching,
What dog breeds are more susceptible to a sensitive stomach?
Some dog breeds include: Boxers, German Shepherds, Great Danes, Labrador Retrievers, Miniature Schnauzers, Scottish Terriers, Shih Tzus, Yorkshire Terriers.